Quarantine Blog 3/20

Initially I was excited about this online schooling, I was under the impression that my parents would allow for my friends to come over to do our work together, that I could go out as long as I “was safe” and washed my hands afterward. For me, this is day four of quarantine, fortunately I was able to go out last weekend; I found that I took for granted what I was able to do and who I was able to see, unfortunately that isn’t the case now. As my parents like to call it, I am on “lockdown” and am only able to leave the house to either go for a run or go for a drive. Thank Goodness my brother came home from school so I have someone else other than my parents to talk to, my sister, as it is right now, remains at a closed campus, doing online schooling just like me. I hope she comes home for her sake, I can’t imagine being alone and not being able to talk to anyone. 

On my runs around my neighborhood I was cautioned to stay at least ten feet away from anyone that I knew. But I find that there is no one to stay away from, no one is out and about, there are very few people walking their dogs, few people venturing out of their houses. It’s an eerie feeling; I wish that there were people who I could see, interact with; it makes you feel totally alone. I desperately want to go back to school so I can have social interactions with someone, while FaceTime is great it can only sustain you for so long. I find that I spend most of my time on FaceTime with friends and I jump at any opportunity to leave my house. My brother and I went on two drives yesterday- I never thought that I’d view a drive as such a luxury. When I’m not on FaceTime I either am sleeping or watching something. I’ve never wanted a change of pace, scenery, anything really more in my life! What I’ve come to realize is that there is a big difference between choosing to stay in your house and do nothing and being forced to stay in and do nothing. Huge difference. But through having so much free time, I’ve come to really appreciate all the things that were just “givens”: going out when I wanted, seeing whoever I wanted, going to the grocery store, going out to eat, so much more. This whole ~social distancing~ thing is something I am not a fan of, but I acknowledge that it is important and I hope my contribution is helping. 



Comments